A Lenten Study for 2010

We'll all read Max Lucado's Six Hours One Friday on the following schedule:
Feb 17-20 Chapter 1
Feb 21-27 Ch 2-3-4
Feb 28-Mar 6 Ch 5-6-7
Mar 7-13 Ch 8-9-10
Mar 14-20 Ch 11-12-13
Mar 21-27 Ch 14-15-16
Mar 28-Apr 3 Ch 17-18-19
Apr 4 Happy Easter!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

No AHA, but thoughts, at least!

Projects! There are some things I have had good intentions to do. No, they are not spiritual disciplines, but disciplines nonetheless. Like making a booklet of the missionaries we pray for and writing thank you notes, going for a walk and spending time on my sewing machine. Where's the sacrifice in that, you ask? Well, these are the kinds of things I talk myself out of in the evenings when, after work and after supper, I just want to be a bump-on-a-log, hang out on the couch or in my chair, watching a show or movie or reading. Not bad things, just time-consuming. And they take a little more effort and brain & body power. So, I am giving up a bit of comfort and a bit of time to spend in higher pursuits. That is my Lenten Commitment. What's yours?

4 comments:

  1. I am not sure why my friends are having a hard time "doing anything" on this blog. Can you post a comment by clicking on 0 Comments? Or do you have to set up an account or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Layne!

    It's been forever since we last spoke, but every time the thought of fellowship enters my mind...so do my memories of you :)

    I'm excited to do this study with you. Since having William my daily routines have been turned upside down. I read your post and it really spoke to me...I can totally relate to having those few hours of downtime in the evening and just letting them slip away while lounging on the couch.

    Wil goes to bed around 9:30 every night, and instead of using my free time productively (I too have several sewing projects on the wish list) I usually just catch up on TV. Like you said, not a bad use of time, but not fruitful either.

    What do you say you and I become Lenten "craft buddies" and keep each other motivated to CREATE in our spare time. We can update each other on our progress as a way of accountability!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck with "Sweet Life Cafe"! Hope you girls have a lot of fun. It's always more energizing to be around other people...when it comes to studying the Bible...and being crafty :)

    I ordered my Max Lucado book yesterday from Amazon. It should be here anyday. I'll speed read to catch up and then we can start discussing the study.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larlyn, how exciting! I would love that! I don't really have any accountability in that arena. This weekend is Sweet Life Cafe. I have worked with a team of 5 gals to organize the girls' getaway, aka women's retreat, and am excited about now seeing how everything works out. On top of that I am the main speaker - a younger gal is taking one of the sessions. I am trying to memorize two scripts - one with Euodia and Syntyche and another from the Widow "Sarah" of Zarephath. I will speak about forgiveness, trust in God's provision, and Jesus, the Bread of Life. I am excited to see how the ladies draw closer to God and each other. After that, we sew!

    ReplyDelete