A Lenten Study for 2010

We'll all read Max Lucado's Six Hours One Friday on the following schedule:
Feb 17-20 Chapter 1
Feb 21-27 Ch 2-3-4
Feb 28-Mar 6 Ch 5-6-7
Mar 7-13 Ch 8-9-10
Mar 14-20 Ch 11-12-13
Mar 21-27 Ch 14-15-16
Mar 28-Apr 3 Ch 17-18-19
Apr 4 Happy Easter!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Fat Tuesday - Fastnacht Day

Back east, we would have been eating special donuts, known as fastnachts. Out here, they know nothing about that, so I printed out an informative essay about Pennsylvania Dutch tradition and using up the lard - getting it out of the house - before Lent. I gave a page to each of "the guys." That is, the men I work with. Today it was only David (Sr. Pastor) Daniel (Worship Pastor) and Mike (Administrative Pastor and my boss, whose birthday it was.) He wanted fruit pie to celebrate so Gary picked up marionberry -- something they only have out west, so now, I guess we're even. I didn't taste it, but everyone who did said it was yummy. They are rather clueless about the liturgical calendar, so I've made it my job to keep them informed.
I have been trying to prepare myself and my heart for Lent. But in my constant question to the Lord about what He would have me sacrifice this season and what good thing should I replace it with, I have heard no reply. I am stumped. I have not wanted it to be food related, cuz I am already on a diet to shed a few pounds before the wedding in 4 months. I can't really get up any earlier. I am part of 2 groups now - TBL and water-walking. I am reading my spiritual formation books. I could probably make better use of my time in the evening. But I don't really know.
Perhaps I will awaken in the morning with an AHA! thought that will guide the remainder of my honoring of Lent. I am open to suggestions. Have you given up anything? Why is it a sacrifice for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment