A Lenten Study for 2010

We'll all read Max Lucado's Six Hours One Friday on the following schedule:
Feb 17-20 Chapter 1
Feb 21-27 Ch 2-3-4
Feb 28-Mar 6 Ch 5-6-7
Mar 7-13 Ch 8-9-10
Mar 14-20 Ch 11-12-13
Mar 21-27 Ch 14-15-16
Mar 28-Apr 3 Ch 17-18-19
Apr 4 Happy Easter!

Friday, February 19, 2010

Anchor Points

So many things are coming together around this theme, in various ways for me. I love it when that happens!
 A couple of weeks ago, I sat on the ordination council for a fellow seminary student. He had a chance to express his doctrinal beliefs. We met for 4 hours, hearing from Gene and asking questions about the studies and circumstances that brought him to those understandings. I was riveted.
 On Wednesdays, I attend a class on Biblical Leadership. We’ve been looking closely at 7 key areas in life and considering our mission, vision, purpose, values, etc. Basically, what are your anchor points?
 On Thursdays, our Growth Group is just getting underway. We are working together through John Ortberg’s book, If You Want to Walk on Water, You’ve Got to Get Out of the Boat. Last night, we talked about Peter and the storm at sea and his stepping out of the boat to get to Jesus.
And, of course, Max Lucado and this Lenten study. Here are a couple questions he poses:
 What anchor points can you identify in your own life? How strong are they?
 What do you think were Jesus’ anchor points when he walked on earth? Which ones do you think he relied on while he spent those 6 hours on the cross?

Tonight begins the long-awaited, much-anticipated, mostly-prepared Sweet Life Café Getaway weekend for the ladies of our church. I have the privilege of sharing the opening message with the gals. It is on forgiveness. In my preparation, I recognized a scripture verse that contains one of my deepest anchors, and it centers on Christ and his redemptive work on the cross. I hold firmly to this and will never let go.

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins
and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

I join Max in extending this challenge: On a clean sheet of paper, write down 5 of your personal anchor points. Put this list in a safe, accessible place and reread it when hurricanes blow into your life.
Have a God-filled day!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry this posting is so late on chapter one...but as a busy mommy I fell behind on computer time.

    Here are my thoughts:
    Several things really struck a nerve with me in this opening chapter. First, the idea that, for us, a mere six hours are often viewed as mundane or wasted even...but how very precious and awe inspiring were the six hours Jesus spent on the cross! It really made me reevaluate how I view and spend the hours of my life.

    Second, there were several quotes that actually made me catch my breath. I'm not sure why, I've read NT accounts, I've seen the Passion, but somehow these lines just hit home -

    1. "God is on a cross. The creator of the universe is being executed."

    Such simple poignant words...but it made me stop reading and actually contemplate the enormity of the situation. Blows your mind when you think about it.

    2. "Far worse than the breaking of his body is the shredding of his heart. His own countrymen clamored for his death. His own disciple planted the kiss of betrayal. His own friends ran for cover. And now his own father is beginning to turn his back on him, leaving him alone."

    This quote actually made me cry. The breadth of Christ's sacrifice cannot be lost on us here. Can we even imagine persevering under such adverse conditions. Just think about the saddest, loneliest time in your memory...and I bet that doesn't even come close to the emotional agony Jesus experienced! I know I've hit some low spots along the road, but never have I experienced COMPLETE abandonment from every person in and out of my life. Jesus was left with no one. Totally alone. I think as humans that's one of our greatest fears as a species...being alone. People go to any number of lengths to feel a connection; be it person to person, over the phone, via email/text/web, and of course prayer. That quote really opened my heart to Jesus suffering. How hollow and lost he must have felt. I found myself almost getting angry, wondering why on earth not a single soul came forward in his defense. But then I guess that's the point isn't it. Only through Jesus’s ultimate sacrifice were we set free. AMEN :)

    3. "A stampedelike vibration, as if prison doors have been opened and the captives are thundering to freedom."

    I loved this analogy! What a great visual to represent the moment Jesus let go and took on all our sin. When you pause to think about our awesome gift of grace, you do feel a sort of exhilarating rush, a sense of undeserved freedom.

    As for the anchors Lucado talks about, I totally agree with the three he outlines – look to God for your PURPOSE, FORGIVENESS, & PROMISE OF ETERNAL LIFE. If we could just get a handle on those anchors life would be smooth sailing :)

    I have to be honest, after reading the chapter on those three anchors…and then flipping to the reader’s guide in the back, I was a little confused when Lucado asked us to write down our personal anchors. He just got done telling us what our anchors should be, and with the exception of my family, those ARE my only anchors…so what was Lucado looking for in a response??? Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete